You know, we're getting so close to christmas I thought it was time to get a bit nostalgic and share our favorite...


You know, we're getting so close to christmas I thought it was time to get a bit nostalgic and share our favorite Christmas memories from when we were kids.
I'll start us off, but I would love to hear what your favorite memory was too, so do join in below in the comments. I guarantee it will bring smiles to us all.

My most vivid memory was one Christmas Eve when I was quite small. My Father said he had a headache and needed to go upstairs and lay down.

He wasn't in the living room with us when later, we all heard the jingle jangle of sleigh bells coming from above. Nor was he there to protect us when we heard heavy footsteps start to come down the stairs and a deep "Ho, ho, ho, ho!" from behind the door that led from the enclosed staircase to the room we were in.

Of course, the four of us kids being 4, 5, 7 and 9, all ran to our mother who was wide eyed and feigning surprise, "Who could be in our house?" she wondered with all the flair of an actress in dismay, "Could that be Saint Nicholas?"

The stair door opened a crack, and we heard the clatter of bells again, I was by this time behind my mother and just about climbing up her back I was so totally afraid and yet excited over what was happening. You see, my mom and dad had both been laying the groundwork for this moment all day by talking about Christmas coming, baking cookies, singing Christmas Carols and telling stories of Santa's elves and encounters they had with Santa.

The door was pushed open with a flourish and the sound of bells, and in stepped a total stranger with a feed sack over his shoulder. He had a huge belly and was covered from head to toe in red flannel and grey rabbit fur, even on his hat! His face was covered in a white beard, and you could see his rosy cheeks were read from being out in the cold.

The memory of meeting Santa Clause for the first time is indelible! Years later I learned that our Mother had sewn the costume, and dad had been saving the pelts of the rabbits he trapped out in the fields of our farm so mom could add all the trim in fur. Dad had also bought a fantastic rubber Santa mask and beard for the occasion and from his first appearance to the last, I never knew it was our dad. Except I do remember remarking to mother that he had a ring on his finger that looked just like daddy's, and boots just like his too.

Later when our father re emerged from upstairs we kids all clamored to tell him who had been here and why didn't he come down? Dad said he heard the sleigh land on the roof and he went up through the attic to the roof to see what it was.
He told us that he was surprised to see him so early in the evening, but Santa explained that his team was hungry, and wondered if he could have some of our cattle feed for them. So dad told us that he was busy tending to the reindeer, all eight of them and that took some time.

I couldn't tell you what I got for my gift that year, and it doesn't matter anyway. Mom and Dad gave me the best memory a child could have.

(postcard is courtesy of The Graphics Fairy)

Comments

  1. Do share your favorite memory with us. Was it a toy? Seeing the tree on Christmas Morning? Gathering with your family? Lets share and relive some magic with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret Siemers great story. ☺️
    I'll try to put one up tomorrow too late now 1:40 in the morning

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite Christmas Memories Are of course when my brother and myself were children and we lived on the farm on Highbury Avenue. That would have been in this early sixties to Middle sixties and it was always so great having Christmas my mother would make it so special she cooked all kinds of good things and would wrap up the presents so inventive she just invented different ways to wrap the presents and it was so cute. And my father would take us out to the pop shop in London and we would buy a case of pop different flavored pops and a big tub of Humpty Dumpty chips. And we'd have that over Christmas we were just in Canada so we weren't that wealthy yet. We didn't have that much yet but we had each other and that was special. And we had such a good Christmas always. My favorite gift I got was my Barbie doll. Barbie with the bending legs. And I would always get Evening In Paris from my mom. And all kinds of people would come over to the house and it was a lot of fun my parents made it really special for us and I will always remember that. Like you said Margaret they gave us lots of good memories to. And I always think about that. And I miss those days and my parents so very much.
    I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Peace and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret SiemersYou had the perfect family Christmas, as exciting as it ever could be for a child AND for your parents! Beautifully told as well. Evelon Burley I loved those blue Evening in Paris bottles and thought they were very elegant.

    I have always loved Christmas time and have many great childhood memories of the season. The baking, the school and church programs, going to our grandparents, getting a bag of candy from the toll booth attendant when we crossed the old Chain of Rocks bridge and getting up very early to see what was in our stockings and under the tree. Of all those things, I really loved being able to choose and decorate the tree. However, the result was always something like is in the pic below. Fortunately my skills have improved.
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/XP_uG2fvVZTiW9Ml8OFzHSS9VpVqIZIyufX7OLojXJy2PS1B6ghyL1oXBrVN3YkjF2ruICSy3JzAQgv-5-jkOw3cCgcpilBLgxd3=s0

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margaret SiemersYou had the perfect family Christmas, as exciting as it ever could be for a child AND for your parents! Beautifully told as well. Evelon Burley I loved those blue Evening in Paris bottles and thought they were very elegant.

    I have always loved Christmas time and have many great childhood memories of the season. The baking, the school and church programs, going to our grandparents, getting a bag of candy from the toll booth attendant when we crossed the old Chain of Rocks bridge and getting up very early to see what was in our stockings and under the tree. Of all those things, I really loved being able to choose and decorate the tree. However, the result was always something like is in the pic below. Fortunately my skills have improved.
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Hx5oRcS0LrO4iDDJYlDGYBWTfbPY0U7YPk8AKynQPQQ6SvMz7PxEZJEbmuM4FRcxRfqBERxyHKnpSYOssp4XRPSsMbl8lZUwaEJX=s0

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evelon Burley Our parents, our families and friends are so critical to providing us with the memories we carry for this season. Without them there would be no magic or wonder. I miss my mom and dad too, as they were a huge part of my being who I am today. You and I were so blessed to have them, and I know from reading her blog that Ann was blessed with this kind of family too.

    The chips and soda sounded like a wonderful treat! I bet it wasn't an everyday occurence like so many people have today. Sometimes I think having less as children was actually having more.

    Ann Kennedy Thank you for your kind words Ann, after reading your blog I know it is high praise indeed.

    I don't think your tree is so bad in this picture, just because the angle makes it look like it is about to pounce on you and your brother and eat you doesn't mean it isn't pretty. (I have seen one too many Christmas horror movies in my past, the read glow in the leaning star set my mind to work, sorry.)

    I see you also used the Glass Wax Stencils on your windows too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Because life wasn't kind to everyone, I just want to say this;

    My heart goes out to anyone that didn't have parents growing up, or that suffered a lonely childhood due to Alcoholism or illnesses their parents had. I can only imagine what it must have felt like for you, and you are surly welcome to tell us what it was like here too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trucker Kev The Paid Tourist When you can kev, no hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ann Kennedy Your tree was very pretty. That's how ours looked as well. It was a traditional tree of our time and it was awesome. 🎄

    ReplyDelete
  10. Evelon Burley Thanks, Evelon. I doubt if a tree like that would even end up on a tree lot for sale, but if so, I would love to have it and use my old ornaments and let it be. Merry Christmas!🎄

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ann Kennedy Merry Christmas to you as well and the very best of the New Year. 🎄 🔔

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment