1938, a magazine for a dime.


1938, a magazine for a dime. I found it interesting that this December issue features so prominently the fictionalized story resulting from the work of the Italian explorer and writer, Attillo Gatti. Gatti traveled in the Congo Basin studying indigenous tribes. And for a bit of what was happening in the world in 1938: A gallon of gas was a dime, the average price of the new car was $743.00, the average wage was 1,730. and a loaf of bread was 9¢. The March of Dimes was founded to help combat Polio and a hurricane caused 700 deaths in New England. Superman appeared in comics, ball point pens were introduced and oil was discovered in Saudi Arabia. Last, Orson Welles' radio broadcast of The War of the Worlds scared the daylights out of many listeners. Fake news!

Comments

  1. Oops! Not Sports, but Vintage Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now it's so hard to find any mainstream magazine that features fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roma Arellano I have no interest at all in any shelter/women's magazines on the market now with maybe an occasional exception. All ads sadly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann Kennedy I don't either. You flip through them and are finished in an hour if even that. My mom always got the Ladies Home Journal. I used to love to read "Can this marriage be saved?" lol. Not exactly creative nonfiction, but for some reason it fascinated me as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well reproduced and with such an interesting round-up of the pieces within the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann Kennedy Got ya covered, and an easy fix to change the designation.
    This is another wonderful post of yours thank you, and when I posted my Sears Catalogue above I had not seen that you and Steve Hart had posted theses looks back. I guess it's that time of year when we think of the past and all that has gone before us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A. G. Moye Hi A.G., hadn't seen you around in ages, but then I was not on much this past year. Good to hear from you again. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Margaret Siemers Agree! Great to see our pals!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment