Schooling in the 1950s Here are some of my memories of grade school, middle school (then called Junior High) and...

Schooling in the 1950s Here are some of my memories of grade school, middle school (then called Junior High) and High School in Middletown NY. One of my schoolmates had had crippling polio, so being a "polio pioneer," one of the first to get the vaccine, was a very big deal. Those were the days when you walked to school by yourself across neighborhood streets, busy intersections and lots of railroad tracks. Even in grade school, you walked!

#MiddletownNY

Comments

  1. Love seeing this, and the note from your Grandfather Jeff Diver. So many of us were the first generation to accomplish a High School Diploma and this is a beautiful reminder of that.
    Thank you for a wonderful contribution to the community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful graduation keepsake and very special note, and your collection of HS treasures is great. I was a daydreamer as well, and a "talker", something that was well reinforced when I read my teachers' comments on my report cards. I enjoy reading your recollections of school days and continue to believe that these personal records are an important legacy for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann Kennedy Thanks! I was lucky to have strong family support during my school years, which means I did stuff I didn't really want to do. Swimming, for instance, became a joy, but only after patient teachers got me to stick my head under water.

    I had forgotten about the "talkers!" My teachers were always at war with students who engaged with each other rather than listening to lessons. Now that I'm out of the classroom, I think daydreaming is a wonderful carry-over sport! (Talking is, too.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment