I guess it was obvious but those landau roofs (fake convertibles) with that swoosh on the side (fake stylized hinge)...


I guess it was obvious but those landau roofs (fake convertibles) with that swoosh on the side (fake stylized hinge) date back to carriages. A landau was originally a four-wheeled carriage with convertible top.

Phaeton and Spyder are another couple of seemingly odd coachbuilding terms (that I've wondered about) that also made their way into the automobile industry, but I'll spare you the deets.

https://brokensecrets.com/2010/11/22/why-some-cars-have-fake-convertible-roofs/

Comments

  1. Don't forget Brougham too.
    I had a 72 Pontiac Catalina Brougham lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cool Steve Hart, I never realized that that kinda funky roof was a fake convertible look. It's still funky lookin, but at least now I know why. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE GOLDEN YEARS OF "MOTOR- CITY!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment