Ever hear of "The Harvey Girls"?

Ever hear of "The Harvey Girls"? Me neither, but they were considered the "Mothers" of the American West and Judy Garland even starred in a movie about them in the 40's. Take a peek at this interesting bit of history and let me know what you think. (It's about railroads so you know I was interested when I saw this story.)
And as a footnote, thank you all for helping to keep the community alive while I have been away. I check in every few days when I have a moment and I always smile because of your thoughts and postings. This community is the best there is in my opinion. Hugs to you all.
https://www.livescience.com/61097-harvey-girls-photos.html?utm_source=lsa-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180104-lsa#sthash.IykemEvp.hpvt

Comments

  1. What an impressive locomotive, it really stands out in these conditions. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great article, Margaret! Fred Harvey and the "girls" are well known in this area as were the Fred Harvey restaurants. Here is a link to a picture taken by my dad on a family road trip in 1960. Fred Harvey had the original concession in 1920 here, on the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Also of interest is that Mary Colter was the architect and designer. nps.gov - Mary Colter's Buildings at Grand Canyon - Grand Canyon National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

    https://photos.app.goo.gl/UR9BLUyoy79h5iks1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fred Harvey was like a Denny's pre late 1960s..The diners were set up all around the Santa Fe railroad..In fact there used to be in addition to diners hotels I think called Harvey Houses..Similar to highway Stuckey's of the day. Rt. 66 Chicago to Los Angeles station towns and yards from Flagstaff, Arizona to points west for the railroad..Last Fred Harvey still stood until about 13 yrs ago was a greek diner in Barstow, California..Very cool about the girls☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Harvey corporation also did the food service for some of the National Parks. I believe that they held it in 1980-82 at Yosemite when I use to live-work there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trucker Kev The Paid Tourist Thanks:-) I think I've posted this one before, but here is my favorite. I was 10 years old and fell in love with those rugs. I bought a tiny one with my saved allowance. It was about 6 x 8 inches:-)
    photos.google.com - New photo by Ann Kennedy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann Kennedy​ Neat the Navajo rugs ...Hope ya like the wiki post I put up about Harvey Houses not far from you they began Florence right along the old Santa Fe..I wonder if any historical landmark in the town?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trucker Kev The Paid Tourist Just saw your post. Thanks! And yes, there is a Harvey House museum in Florence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have bookmarked your website because this site contains valuable information in it. I am really happy with articles quality and presentation. Thanks a lot for keeping great stuff. I am very much thankful for this site. Cochlear Implants

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment