MY LITTLE WICKER ARMCHAIR


MY LITTLE WICKER ARMCHAIR

This is a follow up to Mike Perry's post about the wooden stool that his father made for him very long ago.
I would like to share a similar story.
My little armchair was made by my grandfather when I was about 3 years old.
I sat on it during all my childhood.
After that, it was passed over to my daughter and my son. They also used it during their whole childhood.
And finally, my granddaughter who is now 13, has just finished using it for several years.

Unfortunately, although the structure is still very sturdy and as good as new, the
filling shows signs of heavy wear. I wish I could find a professional craftsman who could repair it for the next generation...

Comments

  1. That's wonderful Laurent, your grandfather did an excellent job, and it's so good to hear how the chair has been used over the generations.

    I feel that items like this have to be preserved and, hopefully, they will live on for many more generations - together with it's history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both a beautiful chair and story. Surely there is someone who can restore this precious chair. It would be easily done here, for the art of caning is popular. And now I need to find Mike's story which I have apparently missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pls conservate it, its really easy:
    put an wet cloth on it over night, and then wax it again, so ur grand children can enjoy it as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was/is an excellent caning job to begin with. I can't think that the art is lost in your country so do give it try and see if you can find someone that has the skill to revive the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margaret Siemers
    You are right. The art is not lost over here and we know a specialized workshop who can do the job.
    Now that my granddaughter does not use it any more, we'll reconsider having it done hopefully in time for our future grand grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment