I came across this article which reminded me of my own childhood. Please click on the link.

Originally shared by David Bennett

I came across this article which reminded me of my own childhood. Please click on the link.
https://www.sunlife.co.uk/blogs-and-features/heart-warming-memories-of-winters-past/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=PromotedPost&utm_content=Blog&dclid=CP-nvvbCrNgCFccw0wod03gHuw
https://www.sunlife.co.uk/blogs-and-features/heart-warming-memories-of-winters-past/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=PromotedPost&utm_content=Blog&dclid=CP-nvvbCrNgCFccw0wod03gHuw

Comments

  1. How true, it was never too cold to play outside. I remember frost on the inside of windows and the warm smell of the paraffin heater in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darran Hughes We still had a range in my grandmother's house to heat the kitchen and a gas light with a mantle. I loved it when Nanna lit the mantle and the white light gradually built up accompanied by a low hissing sound.
    My wife doesn't like to think back to the past but I love nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this sentimental piece! As recently as the 1970s we had a a coal-burning stove in our family room and it provided wonderful heat. We had coal delivered through the cellar window. I also love the scent of a wood burning fireplace and it's a powerful memory from my childhood. I believe that it's healthy to sleep in a slightly chilly room with lots of blankets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darran Hughes Our only rule when playing outside in the cold was to "Bundle up!" We put on lots of layers and our mittens were often wet and icy by the end of the day. Our favorite treat was making snow ice-cream. This was done by adding sugar and vanilla to clean snow and burying it in a container in a deep mound of snow until we ate it before going inside. We would then sit by the fireplace and "dry out" as my mom used to call it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann Kennedy I remember the drying out ritual, the hymn of chattering teeth near the fire as all three of us tried to absorb the heat. Happier times.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment