The Pendle Witches (1612) Pendle - Lancashire - England

The Pendle Witches (1612) Pendle - Lancashire - England

1612, twenty persons, of whom sixteen were women of various ages, were committed for trial, and most of them tried for witchcraft.
Their names were:
Elizabeth Southerns, alias Demdike
Elizabeth Device daughter of Demdike
James Device son of Elizabeth Device
Alison Device daughter of Elizabeth Device
Anne Whittle alias Chattox
Anne Redferne daughter of Chattox
Alice Nutter
Jane Bulcock
John Bulcock son of Jane Bulcock
Katherine Hewitt alias Mould-heels
Isabel Robey
Margaret Pearson
Margaret Pearson was tried 1st for murder by witchcraft; 2nd for bewitching a neighbour; 3rd for bewitching a horse; and, being acquitted of the two former charges, was sentenced for the last to stand upon the pillory in the markets of Clitheroe, Padiham, Colne, and Lancaster for four successive market days, with a printed paper upon her head, stating her offence.
http://www.pendlewitches.co.uk/


Comments

  1. The witch trials (and executions) of 1692 in Colonial Massachusetts represent a sad part of American history as well. Among those accused, there were at least 8 children, and many men as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann Kennedy a story worthy of being read here Ann. Going to google the Massachusetts story as i believe these where the Salem witches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I know this place as I am from Lancashire myself 😎

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little John Metal Detecting ever found anything with your detector in this area John.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darran Hughes Not 100% in that exact area as I was very young when I used to go out with my Dad across Lancashire. I remember that we used to find many items like coins etc and my Dad stored them all in an old wooden box that I think he still has today 😃

    ReplyDelete
  6. Little John Metal Detecting WOW interesting. Any chance of a picture John.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darran Hughes Would be nice but sadly my parents are over 670 miles away

    ReplyDelete
  8. Witch hunts continue to this day. Anyplace ignorance and unfounded suspicion are, Evidence need not be there, Only a crowd, whipped up into a mad bloodthirsty mob.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darran Hughes I believe I did a post a while back about the Salem witch memorial so I will look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very true Oshi Shikigami, and thank you for bringing that up. I would also add "superstition" to the mix of what can cause "witch hunts".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment