School girl in Maine, 1942


School girl in Maine, 1942
photo by Bernard Hoffman

Comments

  1. "Oh when will it ever end?" I can remember feeling this way:-) Great image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just wonderful Tom Brydon. I bet the girl to the left, the one looking away from the camera, got a scolding from her mama for not sitting up straight and being seen better on the magazine cover. They must have known this was going to happen as everyone is dressed nicely for a picture day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely school photo and, although quite few years before I went to school, the desks and classroom are very familiar to me.
    One big difference however that really stands out is the boys wearing long trousers. In England we wore short trousers until our early teens. 😬

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Bennett, These were "Farm Boys" I would venture to guess. Meaning they grew up on their father's farm, and had chores to do before going to school. It can get rather cold in a barn in the fall and winter, (especially in Main) so I would think this is why the custom of wearing knee pants didn't catch on in Rural America.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment