OLD PAINTED ADVERT


OLD PAINTED ADVERT

This publicity painted on a house in Chaudfontaine advertises for the sea crossing route from Ostend (Belgium) to Dover (England). It has been there for longer than I can remember (more than 60 years !) and it is a true memorabilia of a bygone past. It must have been painted before the new house on the left was built, and it is sad that it cannot be seen in full any longer.

The message is "Ostende (in French) Dover (in English).
The sub-message is "La route vers l'Angleterre" (in French) and "De weg naar England" (in Flemish). It is the Flemish message that dates the advert the most. Today, nobody would ever dream of posting an advert in Flemish in this part of the country...

My next post will show you an image of the actual boat.

This photo 2017-05-10

Comments

  1. That is fantastic and I would love to have something like that on my house:-) If I were the owner I would see to it that the wall is maintained and preserved. So much of this advertising has been lost to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann Kennedy
    The first thing I would do is to knock down the white house on the left (:-)
    Now to be serious, you may have given me the idea to go hunting for other painted advertisements, if I can still find any !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurent Truillet Please find more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment