I found this the other day while looking up an old hotel in Miami.

I found this the other day while looking up an old hotel in Miami.
It's very cool, you plug in the area/city that you want to look at and it will bring up old pics of various popular (and not so popular) spots.
The site seems to be still in the beginning phases and obviously there are more pics for some areas than others, but still a pretty great idea all around!
Margaret Siemers, hope I put this in the right category...if not, feel free to move me:)

Originally shared by Pam WhimsicalVintage

A great site for viewing old businesses and other popular spots in various cities and towns around the US.
I haven't explored this too much yet, but it's very cool and I thought it would be interesting for our members.

www.whatwasthere.com

Comments

  1. This is wonderful! I could fiddle around this website for hours:-) What a neat idea. Thanks so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so welcome Ann Kennedy, I felt the same way! Someone like yourself, would be very beneficial to the site. I love that they're enlisting the public to add photos...it's really a great concept!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam WhimsicalVintage I've already started thinking how fun it might be to contribute old pictures. Of course I've already looked for every town I've ever lived in to see what they have already posted:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann Kennedy, me too and I don't have near the amount of photographs that you have:)... but it's such a wonderful way of preserving the past for the public.
    I'm going to spend a little more time with it tomorrow and go through all of my old towns...can't wait to see what I find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No problem on the Category as History is where I would have put it. Pam WhimsicalVintage And I am like you both, Ann Kennedy. Had to look at the town I grew up near, and found lots more than I thought I would. Although some of the postings comments got me riled a little. They called a farmhouse that looked very much like the one I grew up in "Pretentious" because it belonged to a Quaker Rail Road Builder. Sorry, but that wasn't pretense, it was how all the old farm houses from the 1700's were built! They made them to last and made them well. It's why they are still standing. ; )
    So yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the site and thank you a thousand times over for the fun it gave.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment