The Sale of Spirits Act 1750 (commonly known as the Gin Act 1751) was an Act of the Parliament of Great Britain...


The Sale of Spirits Act 1750 (commonly known as the Gin Act 1751) was an Act of the Parliament of Great Britain (citation 24 Geo. II c. 40) which was enacted in order to reduce the consumption of spirits, a popular pastime that was regarded as one of the primary causes of crime in London.

Comments

  1. Sounds like all they did was jin up a lot of (now) illegal business...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prohibition didn't work here and it's main thing was like yours, causes crime. Stopping it caused even bigger crime. I didn't know this had happened over there Darran Hughes this is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret Siemers you can still buy Old Tom gin today, although I don't think it's still mixed with turpentine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an interesting piece of history and the detail in this illustration is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann Kennedy I like the skeleton serving the drinks. It's a great drawing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment