photo by Vivian Maier, 1953, New York, NY


photo by Vivian Maier, 1953, New York, NY

Comments

  1. Aw, what a lovely photo. Thank you Tom Brydon
    Any body know if they did away with these in NYC yet? I know they wanted to last year.
    Let me ping Pam WhimsicalVintage she usually knows all the NY/NJ happenings, perhaps she knows this question too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret Siemers, they're still going and the protesters are still protesting. The thing is, as with all things horse related, once they shut these down...where do the horses go? Most of these horses are retired racehorses who don't mind the noise and craziness of the city. Without a rescue to go to, they will end up being sold at auction where unfortunately, the majority of them get illegally purchased and shipped to Canada for meat processing to be sent to Europe and other places. There aren't enough rescues or homes to take in these old souls and most of the carriage drivers truly love these horses...so I'd rather see them there than in a meat packing facility. I could go on forever on this...so I'll stop myself here:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sad for them, the horses.
    I do know from a friend that had a business like this in Hawaii (up until that last big hurricane a few years ago) that horses are costly to transport too. So even getting them to say, Texas or Kentucky were someone may have room to take one in would be expensive and perhaps not done.
    Thank you for the introspective. I knew you would have some kind of helpful information on this. Pam WhimsicalVintage

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret Siemers it is very expensive. Many rescues will visit the auctions and try to buy as many horses as they can and then work with horse shippers to offer discounted rates with the adoption costs. There's a lot of people working to find these guys (and gals) a home but it is very difficult.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment