Just over 200 years ago, grave robbing was a bit of a problem in Britain.
Just over 200 years ago, grave robbing was a bit of a problem in Britain. The cages are meant to protect the dead and many of these relics survive today in British cemeteries. The most famous grave robbers are the Scottish duo Burke and Hare (circa 1829). If you have never heard of them, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burke_and_Hare_murders.
This I believe was also a problem in the United States of America, but with a difference. My American cousins employed cemetery guns (worth looking up).





This I believe was also a problem in the United States of America, but with a difference. My American cousins employed cemetery guns (worth looking up).





that's really fascinating! I had not heard of the cemetery guns, but I did know about the little bell in case the "dead" revived
ReplyDeletePatsy Priebe I have heard of the awakening bell also, I have never seen one. The American cemetery guns certainly looked formidable weapons. Would love to have one in my collection.
ReplyDeleteDarran Hughes I'll keep my eyes out for you!
ReplyDeleteDarran Hughes, Do you believe that in Brazil, my country, it still happens? Unbelievable 😔😔 200 years ago in Britain. Congratulations UK 👍👍
ReplyDeleteArlene Gasparello oh no. That's not good.
ReplyDeleteGreat Share Darran Hughes. Took a Britt to teach me about something in America. lol Thanks for that, I had never heard of it either.
ReplyDeleteJust was reading of the Cemetery Guns, also saw Torpedoes and Cages. WOW, interesting! Thanks again so much.
ReplyDeleteHere's a link with one shown.
slate.com - The “Cemetery Gun” Designed to Stop Grave Robbers
Apparently they were hooked up to trip wires and if you hit one, you were most likely the next corpse delivered to the Anatomy school.
Some further reading, just google "Cemetery Guns" and find lots of info.
Thank you so much again Darran Hughes you know I love this kind of information. : )
This is all really interesting and new to me. Never heard of either cemetery guns or bells.
ReplyDelete