The Paris baby lottery of 1911.


The Paris baby lottery of 1911.

In late 1911, Parisians seeking to become parents could do things the regular way. Or they could take a more unusual option offered to them that year: A baby lottery.
A foundling hospital (not really a hospital but actually a children's home) had recently held "a raffle of live babies." The hospital's management (which, the article stresses, consulted the authorities before holding the event) sought not just to find homes for these adorable, abandoned babes, but also to raise money.

Now if anyone knows of a raffle for Kristen Wiig, let me know.

Comments

  1. Now that's a fundraiser new to me. And if I hear of any raffles for KW I'll let you know:-) She could be a very funny prize indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A novel idea that would not fly in this day and age. I hope they all found loving homes. Darran Hughes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been curious about the success of the raffle and hope I can find something about it. So far, only this, but I thought it was interesting: http://time.com/4433717/paris-baby-raffle-history/ You may have already seen this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ann Kennedy the additional info was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann Kennedy I could find out very little as to what happened to the orphans. But I do hope they managed to find good homes for them all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment