THE KING AND MY MOTHER

THE KING AND MY MOTHER
I have always seen my mother wearing this pendant during all her life.
In her later years, I finally asked her :
« Why do you always wear this ? »
She answered : 
« King Albert the 1st gave it to me »…

Here is the story :
King Albert was also known as the « Soldier King », because during WW1, he often went down into the trenches to encourage his soldiers during the Battle of the Yser. He was well loved by the people and he had consideration for everyone.
One day in 1919, he made a private visit to a family in my native village, to meet a man who was a soldier during the war. It happened that my grandfather was there for no particular reason with his little five year old daughter (my mother was born in 1915). The King lifted her up and made her jump on his knees, as anybody would do with a little child.
Then my mother asked :
« Do you have something for me, Sir ? »
The king said :
« I’m sorry I haven’t» but he went in his pocket and found a standard 50 centimes coin (1/2 Belgian Franc) representing his face. He said « I’ll give you this, so you can keep a little souvenir from me... »
(Conversation in Flemish, not in English!)

My mother had the coin chiseled out and mounted in a golden ring as a pendant, and indeed she wore it during all her life.
I did some further investigation about he coin on Internet. The metal is silver but such a coin as shown on the pendant never existed. My other image shows the real coin (Internet image). My conclusion is that the artist who mounted the coin took the happy liberty to add the leaves that can be seen on both sides of the king’s face.
The date « 1914 » was also the artist’s addition, because the issue date on the other side of the coin is « 1912 » !

This is probably the most precious memory item that I have from my mother. I want it to be transmitted to further generations together with the story that goes with it



Comments

  1. That's a great heirloom and story. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fantastic on so many levels. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story and the keepsake are precious indeed! It will be difficult to decide who shall have this treasure one day. I hope they continue to enjoy the story accurately and to share the memory with others. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurent Truillet Absolutely wonderful memory of your mother and the King! I can remember bits of my Grandfather saying fond things about him, and now I understand why. He had been born in 1901.
    I remember him saying "Prince of a King, Albert" in particular, just can't recall why.
    Thank you for sharing you most wonderful story and keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann Kennedy Thanks for your comment, Ann.
    As you can see, I'm writing the stories now to go with the items.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margaret Siemers
    "Prince of a King" was probably a compliment meaning "the Best of Kings", which is in fact how he is still remembered now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laurent Truillet Yes, that's the feeling I have of it, that it was a good thing and he admired him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed this post. What a wonderful story, almost magical how it came about. A real treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mike Perry
    Thank you mike !
    As I said, it is the most significant treasure from my mother.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment