On March 3, Japan celebrates “Hinamatsuri”, the Doll Festival which is a time to honor daughters.

On March 3, Japan celebrates “Hinamatsuri”, the Doll Festival which is a time to honor daughters. Also known informally as Girls Day, families display dolls ornately dressed in clothes to represent the ancient imperial court. March 3 is also the Peach Festival with blossoms used to decorate the doll collections. Peach blossoms are thought to keep bad spirits away.

Here is a look at the festival as described by my mom on her 34th birthday, March 1, 1954:

Comments

  1. This is a big thing in Japan with hundreds of years tradition. Families have handed down doll sets from generation to generation. A very happy time for young girls in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann Kennedy I don't know what I enjoyed seeing more, the beautiful dolls or the beautiful Kimonos!
    Oshi Shikigami I think it's a marvelous tradition, thank you for your imput on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oshi Shikigami Some of the handwork on the amazing silk clothing of the dolls is just extraordinary so I can see why a family would consider these to be very special heirlooms. Thanks so much for your knowledge here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know how the Japanese like to make things smaller? I found this, I thought you would like to see. ;-)

    See other post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that answers my question on the other post. lol Oshi Shikigami

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope I got it right. Evert time I try and do followups, the rules seem to have changed...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oshi Shikigami Glad I found it at last! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment