Traumatic story... I found/caught a chicken when I was 6 that fell off the chicken truck. I was keeping it in the neighbor's unused coop but she sent it to the "farm" (code for ate it) because it was lonely. I never forgave her.. :-)
John T I am like Evelon Burley Grew up on a farm and had lots of Chickens. I loved collecting the eggs as a kid, but not having the nasty ole Banty Rooster chase me. ; )
Between the ages of 4-8, I think, we had about 8 hens and a Cockerell called Charlie. One of my older sisters looked after them and I have a distinct memory of her with a Donald Duck T shirt on throwing food either side from a green bowl, singing and followed in a line by the chickens. I also remember being cornered by Charlie and him trying to attack me because I got too close. My dad heard me and fought him off and he didn't do it again but he did taste good ;)
My brother bought a rooster chick at the Boy Scout Jamboree and named it Orville. Orville was noisy and eventually had to be moved to our grandparents' farm. I believe he became a potpie.
I had pidgins... ;-)
ReplyDeleteI did on the farm when I was a kid. We had lots of chickens.
ReplyDeleteTraumatic story... I found/caught a chicken when I was 6 that fell off the chicken truck. I was keeping it in the neighbor's unused coop but she sent it to the "farm" (code for ate it) because it was lonely. I never forgave her.. :-)
ReplyDeleteSteve Hart oh my gosh. That would have been so tragic for you at that age. I don't think I would have ever forgave her either.
ReplyDeleteAw, Steve Hart What an awful thing to do to a kid. I feel so bad for you.
ReplyDeleteSometimes people make me wonder why they do what they do.
John T I am like Evelon Burley Grew up on a farm and had lots of Chickens. I loved collecting the eggs as a kid, but not having the nasty ole Banty Rooster chase me. ; )
ReplyDeleteMargaret Siemers Oh my. You just made me remember those banty roosters They were nasty. We had some too.
ReplyDeleteEvelon Burley Perhaps we should start the "Farm Girl's Banty Rooster Survivor's Club". lol
ReplyDeleteBetween the ages of 4-8, I think, we had about 8 hens and a Cockerell called Charlie. One of my older sisters looked after them and I have a distinct memory of her with a Donald Duck T shirt on throwing food either side from a green bowl, singing and followed in a line by the chickens.
ReplyDeleteI also remember being cornered by Charlie and him trying to attack me because I got too close. My dad heard me and fought him off and he didn't do it again but he did taste good ;)
John T A well deserved end for the scoundrel. ;)
ReplyDeleteMy brother bought a rooster chick at the Boy Scout Jamboree and named it Orville. Orville was noisy and eventually had to be moved to our grandparents' farm. I believe he became a potpie.
ReplyDeleteAnn Kennedy Apparently Orville wasn't the
ReplyDelete"Wright" bird to have around.
Ann Kennedy I feel for your brother. Having someone eat your chicken is no fun.
ReplyDeleteSteve Hart We had plenty of experience on farms so we eventually took it in stride I suppose:-)
ReplyDelete