This post is just a little too late for Christmas, but I thought it would still be interesting to share.


This post is just a little too late for Christmas, but I thought it would still be interesting to share.
The photo shows a friend’s collection of French « Santons ». I have posted them on « Vintage Life » because they are a genuine vintage tradition in the region named « Provence » in the south of France.
The idea is that after Jesus was born in the crib, all the traditional trades of the area would come and gather around.
All the little figures are made of plaster (not resin) in the south of France (not China), and hand painted. They come in different standard sizes so that they may be displayed together according to the size chosen (8 or 12 cm, and even larger…).
If you want to see more, enter « Santons » on Google > Images.
Now you have plenty of time to get ready for next Christmas !

Comments

  1. A completely delightful collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Laurent Truillet And you have actually answered a question I had always wondered. What were the different looking folks standing outside of the Creche that my Grandmother had.

    Some looked like these! Animals too. Now I have a new wonder however. Why and where they came from. My Youngest has the Manger scene now...I wonder if she put them away yet or is waiting for Old Christmas...traditionally we always waited for that to put decorations away. I want to examine them again now that I am seeing this. She will appreciate the information too.
    Thank you Laurent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret Siemers
    I am glad that this post was useful to you...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment