While we are on the chapter of old documents, here is an interesting one.

While we are on the chapter of old documents, here is an interesting one.
It is family related. It certifies that Bernard Wiard, baker and husband of Anne Trouillet, has been accepted in the bakers' guild of this region.
The interest resides in the shape of the handwriting, which is a cursive form of gothic, and I was surprized that it was also used in this (old) French speaking region long before it was called Belgium.
The document is dated 1710-01-17
I have used a copy of the document to transcribe in "normal" writing the original gothic writing. Some letters are surprizingly different to what they are now.
That's an impressive piece and very interesting. What is the size of the original document? The writing seems small and it's an interesting combination of manuscript (printing) and cursive.
ReplyDeleteAnn Kennedy The size of my document is about a normal letter (8" by 12"), but I don't have the original, which I copied from someone who was doing genealogy researches on our name (Truillet).
ReplyDeleteThe "normal" capital letters are my writing, transcribing the gothic between the lines.
Laurent Truillet Oh, of course! When I enlarge it I can now see the purpose of your writing. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteGood post all around Laurent Truillet And that old penmanship was so lovely. Such a shame we now all type in the same form. We lost something when the keyboard was invented, but it does save time and some frustration in reading. sigh.
ReplyDeleteMargaret Siemers, you are correct. The thing I miss the most with calligraphy, is the spell check! ;-)
ReplyDeleteOshi Shikigami True Dat! lol
ReplyDelete