Finally have my Shotgun (circa 1888) mounted on the wall.

Finally have my Shotgun (circa 1888) mounted on the wall.
On the look out for a "Punt Gun" (circa 1900).
See pictures 2-3-4-5,
A punt gun is a type of extremely large shotgun used in the 19th and early 20th centuries for shooting large numbers of waterfowl for commercial harvesting operations.





Comments

  1. Those amaze me! I'll bet it was a) very heavy, b) deafening loud, and c) used a cup of black powder. Thanks for posting, Darran Hughes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike Martin wouldn't want to be stood next to it when it went off. Would love one on my kitchen wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Now that is incredible. I must admit that it is beautiful and almost graceful looking the way you have photographed it. Never thought I'd say that about a gun:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann Kennedy that's because it is old and beautiful.
    Darran Hughes the butt and barrel looks like it was adapted to a pistol form. Ingenious if it was as it saved the maker time. I assume this was a hand made stock?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike Martin You forgot D) would knock you on your behind when fired.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is amazing! I did not know they ever made rifles that large! How silly but I guess if it served their purposes! Silly men. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unless you have fired a 10 gauge and thought, "that's not so bad." Don't even think of being within a 100 yards of a punt gun firing! LOL

    (Yup did a ten. wont again...LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Margaret Siemers Well they had phones and newspapers back then and black and white tv and the rest of the general information travels by gossip. Word of mouth was pretty fast, so I think back then lots of people knew about the gun, if they ever saw one is another issue. :) What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mostly Newspapers, Phones and B&W TV was not the norm for information exchange by the time this gun was outlawed. So it would have been talked about over a Brandy and a Cigar in the club more so than the "Back Fence". I am certain however that it made the headlines of the local news where hunting with this gun was prevalent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Margaret Siemers my grandma says she used to hide in tiny little spaces and no one could find her, that was her thing when she was little, however, because of that she over heard lots of things she did not understand; later as an adult she remembered things she over heard and then she understood, so funny and yet clever, because little kids did not understand what they were hearing so they stored that information somewhere in their little heads and brought it out later when they could. So I think that is a very interesting brain function. :)) Cause I remember things the same way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lady Sandra Yes, it is interesting the way the mind works. Hence my love of Psychology and Science.
    I think it is nice that you still have Grandma with you. Make sure you inquire about family history while you have her, and make notes. Go through family photo's with her and jot who is in them on the back carefully, so as not to mark the other side from the writing. It will be invaluable to you one day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment