The Sutton Hoo mask.
The Sutton Hoo mask.
(The last two pictures are replicas of the mask)
In 1939, with World War II about to begin, archaeologists in Britain were excited by a discovery from 1,300 years ago.
Inside a grassy mound at Sutton Hoo, in Suffolk, they unearthed the remains of an Anglo-Saxon ship, possibly the tomb of a 7th-century nobelman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton_Hoo



(The last two pictures are replicas of the mask)
In 1939, with World War II about to begin, archaeologists in Britain were excited by a discovery from 1,300 years ago.
Inside a grassy mound at Sutton Hoo, in Suffolk, they unearthed the remains of an Anglo-Saxon ship, possibly the tomb of a 7th-century nobelman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton_Hoo



Sutton Hoo isn't too far from Framlingham, the town where we lived. Never got to the burial site, sorry to say. I think all the artifacts had been taken to the British Museum.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the series of photos, Darran Hughes - I'd only seen the third one.
How exquisite! I am thrilled you posted this and shared with us all! I love this! :)))
ReplyDeleteWhat a pity it is not the original, but at least we get to see what it looked like in its heyday so to speak. Lovely really. :)
ReplyDeleteThese are really beautiful, reproductions included. It makes me wonder if there are still artifacts at that site. So much technology is available now to archeologists that wasn't around when the site was originally excavated.
ReplyDelete