Can I take you to lunch?.
Can I take you to lunch?.
London's oldest restaurant.
Rules was opened by Thomas Rule in 1798, primarily as an oyster bar but served, and continues to serve, traditional British Cuisine. Rules specialises in game and has its own estate known as The Lartington Estate in the High Pennines.
The restaurant stayed in the Rule family until the First World War, when Charles Rule swapped businesses with Thomas Bell. Bell's daughter subsequently sold the restaurant to John Mayhew (who still owns the restaurant) in 1984



London's oldest restaurant.
Rules was opened by Thomas Rule in 1798, primarily as an oyster bar but served, and continues to serve, traditional British Cuisine. Rules specialises in game and has its own estate known as The Lartington Estate in the High Pennines.
The restaurant stayed in the Rule family until the First World War, when Charles Rule swapped businesses with Thomas Bell. Bell's daughter subsequently sold the restaurant to John Mayhew (who still owns the restaurant) in 1984



Very Elegant I must say... Tons of history
ReplyDeleteGreat set of photos, Darran Hughes - one expects to see M and Q at a corner table discussing whatever they'll have to do about 007.
ReplyDeleteMike Martin they both wouldn't look out of place in this establishment.
ReplyDeleteDarran Hughes I have been to a restaurant with master works on the walls like this. Haussner's in Baltimore, Maryland. Not near as old as yours, and not as grandly appointed either I think, but dining with beauty is an experience everyone should have. I know I will never forget the times I had dinner there.
ReplyDeleteHere's a link to the wiki info on it if you wish to compare. I do see that a Mad Men (HBO Television Series) was filmed in a replica of the establishment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haussner%27s_Restaurant
You will have to google Haussner's Restaurant if you want to see interior shots however, Can't get links to those to come up in here.
Margaret Siemers very opulent , I like that they sell some of the fine prints.
ReplyDeleteAs to answer your original question, Sure! Anytime:-) The bar alone is a work of art. Lovely all around!
ReplyDelete