INTRODUCING MY FATHER

INTRODUCING MY FATHER
In the company where he worked for 35 years, he was considered as a legendary character and to his surprise, someone made a cartoon of him (late 60's). It calls for some explanations.
1. During all his life, my father wore suits made of the same zig-zag fabric, which finally became his signature.
2. He was very funny, but like Buster Keaton, he would never laugh of his own jokes. This explains his enigmatic sideways look.
3. He was a great art lover. He is seen here stealing away the « Venus de Milo » from the Louvre Museum.
4. He spent his life trying to learn foreign languages. He tried English, German, Italian, Spanish and even Esperanto. His preferred method was « Assimil ». The files at the bottom are an allusion to the logo of this method.
5. He was rather miser, thus the file « Les Faux Monayeurs » (The Money Forgers).
6. He set up two special insurances inside the company, one helping ill employees and the other helping the families of the deceased, thus "Assimil Mutuelle" and "Assimil Décès".
7. And finally, he started the « Standards Department » in the company, thus « Assimil Normalisé »
I am very proud of this cartoon, and I am very glad I have it.
It is worth a thousand photos !
I can see why you would treasure this sketch, Laurent Truillet and I'm sure you must miss him. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteMike Martin Thanks Mike. He's benn gone for almost 30 years now !
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful treasure indeed, as was your father as well. It's a marvelous keepsake and your explanation leaves me feeling as if I have just met him in person. Delightful.
ReplyDeleteAnn Kennedy Thank you Ann. And let's not forget the real artist who made the sketch. He signed "Roger Potier". He was one of my father's colleagues.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful cartoon to own - so many memories tied up within the picture. Priceless.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that I didn't miss this one Laurent Truillet! I think you favor your fathers looks as well as some of his appreciation of humor. : I wonderful post and I don't blame you for being proud of him and wanting us to see it also.
ReplyDelete