I received many 'hand me down' cameras when I was little.


I received many 'hand me down' cameras when I was little. But the first camera specifically new as my own was a Nikkorex F, 35 mm interchangeable lens, single lens reflex, by Nikon. And thus was born an over fifty year love affair with Nikons!  (Shown with optional attachable meeter, which I also had, and the 50 mm f 2.0 Nikkor lens.:-)

Comments

  1. Quite a history with Nikon.  I didn't get my first Nikon until about 25 years ago.  It was a Nikon N90.  Been shooting Nikon ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikon's and Canon's have always been the choice here. However the Canon's are not what they once were, older one's yes, newer not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to state what is strictly my own personal observations and evaluations. Everybody has their own, and as such it is never a right verses wrong concept. Just opinion, nothing more.

    Digital of any form when it first came out had a "wow factor" that overrode any other consideration at the time. When it got to be more than a novelty, it then became a "horse race". How many pixels? How many features? How much "versatility" could be crammed into one camera?

    The steady grew larger, and added more bells and whistles, more bling! It was always who could get this feature more, this number higher, this 'new thing' added.

    And slowly the cameras stopped being a tool. They were a status symbol. If you had last year's model, you were hopelessly out of date... And this has led to...

    A huge monsters camera, bloated with hundreds of features, most of which are so confusing or buried, they never get used, or maybe only one just to see. The "compact camera" became a bloated behemoth. With drill down menus leading to hundreds of setting possibilities.

    You have a heavy, bulky black plastic box with do-dads, hanging of from every surface. More buttons than a typewriter. And a never read manual of hundreds of pages, telling you how to set up your camera to use. A camera that is et to as much "auto" as possible, becoming a point and shoot box camera. A thousand dollar, box camera. A camera twice the size and weight of the 35 mm camera it replaced. A camera that will be obsolete in another year or two.

    The, call it 'soul', of the camera has fled. Replaced with a "press button" thousand plus dollars phone camera, that you leave at home as it weighs to much and is too much bother to take with you.

    We have lost our sense of what makes pictures great. It is not a camera that does every possible function known to man. No, It is a quick and easy camera. One you take with you all the time. One that you won't have to rob your children's college fund for. One that simply takes pictures.

    Oh wait... I think I have one of those in my phone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oshi Shikigami Your opinions and observations are always wonderful to read. Never stop. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oshi Shikigami Yep!  Always have the phone with you and it is actually easy and fun to take pictures with.  On my last trip to Scotland to see my grandkids,  (we did go to see my son and his wife too ) I took more pictures with the phone than I did with the Nikon DSLR that  I was lugging around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Nikon cameras too. That's a neat looking camera Oshi. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment