I don't know much about the history of these posters. I would love it if you have anything to share!

I don't know much about the history of these posters. I would love it if you have anything to share!



Comments

  1. The US Crop Corps was established in 1943 to recruit labor to replace farm hands who were fighting overseas. Separate corps were established for women, teens and Mexican migrants. I suspect the first poster was used to recruit teens during their summer breaks from school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim O'Brien Thanks! I think these posters remain quite relevant even after war, they should be in circulation today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim O'Brien Exactly right. And the Canning was a huge necessity back then too. Everything was rationed and canning the food at home that was grown in "Victory Gardens" meant more food on your table in winter. Canned at the factory food was being sent overseas to our men and women. Using home canned and grown food meant points could be used for Sugar and Flour which were not easy to refine at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret Siemers That is interesting information. I didn't think about how canning enabled people to buy other products like sugar and flour on ration points.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With war, there are always sacrifices...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually just came across an entire box of "Change" for food Ration coupons. Tiny Red and Blue paper coins, given to the customer when all of a coupon was not used, as change. I'll have to take some pictures and post them here. I also found a letter talking about home heating oil being rationed, from the families then oil company. I had never thought of the home heating oil rationing, but it would have been something that was rationed. Riya Sawant

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment