HISTORIC AMERICA PLATES
HISTORIC AMERICA PLATES
On the china theme again, this time plates. No great value but they belonged to my parents. so meaningful to me - and we use them all the time. On the reverse:
Genuine Hand Carving
The Capitol
HISTORIC AMERICA
at Washington
Johnson Bros
England
We have several other blue plates from a similar period and again we use them regularly.
The Capitol is the Seat of the "Feddle Gummint" which is Appalachian for "Federal Government" and is usually prefaced with the word "Damn".
ReplyDeleteDefinitely a pretty piece and glad they're still solid enough for regular use, Mike Perry!
Mike Martin Do I sense some unrest in Appalachia :-)
ReplyDeleteIs it a cobalt paint ?I like this kind .I have some but made in England .
ReplyDeleteMaria Richardson -WagTail Adventures These plates are from the 'Historic America' series made by Johnson Bros. in England.
ReplyDeleteInka WSmith These were also made in England. I've always presumed they were transfers on to the plate.
ReplyDeleteMike Perry - Appalachia was settled by folks who had little or no use for "gummint" and the tradition has been handed down. Many don't realize (seriously) that their monthly assistance and disability checks come from the "gummint."
ReplyDeleteMaria Richardson -WagTail Adventures I think you can still buy Spode Blue Italian plates.
ReplyDeleteMike Martin Your comment got me reading a little about Appalachia - and how some of the inhabitants were portrayed.
ReplyDeleteI also read that Native American hunter-gatherers first arrived in Appalachia over 16,000 years ago.
Interesting!
Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteEvelon Burley Thank you!
ReplyDeleteUse old blue & white Johnson Bros. in our house, too:-) The oak leaf and acorn border is the same as on our Thanksgiving china which is called "Frosting Up" , I think, also one of the Historic America patterns. I love the shape of your plate!
ReplyDeleteMike Perry The People of the Application Mountains are looked upon as backwoods nobodies that are a nuisance. Uneducated and full of superstitions. However, I personally feel that when the catastrophes come that mankind is quickly calling to fore get here, they will be the ones that survive it all. Just my opinion.
ReplyDeleteMargaret Siemers and Mike Perry Our pal Thex Dar has done at least one excellent post on Appalachian music and related information I believe.
ReplyDeleteMargaret Siemers You're always introducing us to something new, like the Application Mountains:-)
ReplyDeleteIt is a slightly smaller line of Mountains behind the Appalachians. You have to apply to get there.
ReplyDeleteAnn Kennedy Thats what I get for being in a hurry and using spell check quickly. LOL
Ann Kennedy We have round blue Johnson Bros dinner plates as well which we use, again from my parents and also an large oval plate.
ReplyDeleteMargaret Siemers I gathered from what I have read that this was what was often thought of the Appalachian people. Close communities do pull together when times get hard though.
ReplyDeleteMargaret Siemers Fear not, since you are very knowledgeable, I looked it up before commenting just to be certain:-)
ReplyDeleteMike Perry Margaret Siemers Ann Kennedy - Now, y'all remember that a Kentuckian who married a West Virginia girl hangs out here, too.
ReplyDeleteShort version: Appalachia is dying. Resources, primarily timber followed by coal, are depleted. But as long as poorly educated people still live "up a holler" who can be induced to vote, politicians will continue to practice the worst sorts of demagoguery.
Mike Martin Sad, but true. Not that you're hanging out here, but that Appalachia is dying.
ReplyDeleteMike Martin 'Up a holler' - ? Is that a small valley region between two hills or mountains?
ReplyDeleteSad to hear that Appalachia is dying
Mike Perry - Exactly. It's the Appalachian accent saying "hollow" as in a valley.
ReplyDeleteMike Martin Thanks.
ReplyDelete