After the Great War the city of Hull council gave each child within the city a book.

After the Great War the city of Hull council gave each child within the city a book.
To commemorate peace after the Great War. Presented at school to each child in the summer of 1919. This book once belonged to Maisie Stead, Chiltern Street Girls School Hull..
The last picture is of a wooden carving, I have seen this in Hull museum and it is an impressive object, they have white stone eyes.

I often wonder what happened to Maisie Stead in life.


Comments

  1. They sure don't make 'school books' (textbooks), like they used to!  :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back when being presented with a book meant more than it does today.  In my grandfather's things are books from his childhood.   I may post the Christmas book - it is nice if even just for the artwork

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing it Patsy Priebe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darran Hughes I'm far behind with reading the posts here, but this post is very interesting to me. Is this book yours and have you learned anything more about Maisie Stead? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann Kennedy yes I own the book (found it in an old antique shop). I don't know what really happened to Maisie apart from the school she attended.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darran Hughes It's a wonderful piece to own. It would be fun to have a school photo or some other item wouldn't it.  Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would Ann Kennedy.
    The book shows three rare coins from the city of Hull (1812/1794) I have managed to track two of them down and add them to a collection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment