Jaeger LeCoultre Compass 35mm subminiature camera, c.1938


Jaeger LeCoultre Compass 35mm subminiature camera, c.1938

Now this is_ the way to build a camera._
No plastic or LCD display.
Everything settable, and set manually.
A real viewfinder.
And you have to wind it!

:-)

Comments

  1. Very cool Oshi. It looks like it even tells you everything on the lens, like F/stops and focal length etc., and just a lot of thought went into making it. Cool post Oshi. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen this camera and I must say it is in its own way a very beautiful piece! Somehow it looks very "organic" compared to today's cameras! Great post, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the machining, with polished metal, and having everything labeled. All heavy heavy duty metal. This could still run, after being run over by a tank! You could pound nails with it too!  LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, they're here to stay for sure. I doubt that cameras these days made out of hard plastic will survive like the old ones. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This actually looks like "Photographers Equipment" as compared to today's outfits. It is no wonder they sent people to school to learn how to take pictures and the first classes were about knowing how to use your camera. I love the lens cover, very cool post Oshi Shikigami

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back in the mid '70s, I made a AV slide production (like a power point today ;) that taught the basics of camera operation. I used the acronym "S.A.F.E."

    Shutter speed
    lens Aperture
    Focus
    Expose

    What all the numbers meant, and how to choose them. It was a hit! Used at local camera stores (yes hometown brick and mortar shops that just sold photography!) and a community college.

    I found the average person with no experience, could learn how to operate a camera in under an hour. They still had to have an eye for art to take decent photos, but there were many many art classes for that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oshi Shikigami Just like you to help people understand Photography. I say Way Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Margaret Siemers, I counted it all a  fun.  :-0

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oshi Shikigami Thank you for the fascinating share! If I may ask, what size/type of film did this camera use? Did it use MINOX-type cartridges?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a 35 mm camera. However I think it used special cartridges to hold the film.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is beautiful, it seems obtained from a solid piece of metal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Matthew Woodall  I have a Sony Nex 6 and it has a magnesium body.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Magnesium Sereno ? ..that sounds like it would crumble apart easy..lol...over time..:-))..just pickin, but you should post a photo of it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment