Okay, folks, question: Why did so many people in the past pose for photos in front of their cars when the car was...
Okay, folks, question: Why did so many people in the past pose for photos in front of their cars when the car was not the focus? I post authentic (not models), vintage fashion on one of my pinterest boards and it's amazing how often people are in front of their cars.
http://www.pinterest.com/charlotteissyvo/vintage-fashion-in-real-life/
http://www.pinterest.com/charlotteissyvo/vintage-fashion-in-real-life
http://www.pinterest.com/charlotteissyvo/vintage-fashion-in-real-life/
http://www.pinterest.com/charlotteissyvo/vintage-fashion-in-real-life
A sign of being middle class wealthy ? :-)
ReplyDeleteI think maybe owning cars was still a newish, middle class thing. But I'm just speculating. My step-son is SO into cars, he'd pose in front of one... if we owned one. Poor kid; a car-obsessed teen in an eco-friendly home.
ReplyDeleteI think I agree with Matthew Woodall to a degree. The car was a thing of status and to be seen next to one had the wow factor back then.
ReplyDeleteMaybe this reading answer partially your question: https://books.google.com.ar/books?id=0T3-3Ce5VocC&pg=PA69&lpg=PA69&dq=jean+baudrillard+domestic+world+and+cars&source=bl&ots=8KnPAizrvi&sig=chypaDEvvOG46dpRDEykhNS5i9o&hl=es-419&sa=X&ei=xw6SVNvyDoHSggTvqYDABw&ved=0CBoQ6AEwAA
ReplyDeleteYou know, thats a good question. I looked at my old pics and there they were, in front of the cars. Any ideas?
ReplyDeleteI think the status thing is the most likely. Today, I bet we'd be more likely to pose in front of our houses, if we're lucky enough to own one. In my city, owning a house is a billionaire's dream.
ReplyDelete