EARLY 1950s CHILDREN'S ANNUALS

EARLY 1950s CHILDREN'S ANNUALS
For Ann Kennedy A selection of children's annuals, as we call them in the Britain, from my own collection. As the name suggests they were published once a year, normally towards Christmas. I used to receive two of three every year from uncles and aunts.

The 'Lion' and the 'Eagle' annuals were based on weekly comics of the same names - though the content was new and different. As a child I got the Lion and Eagle comics most weeks.

The two cowboy style annuals were stories, some cartoon style, mostly about the main characters. Cowboys & Indians were, of course, popular themes, especially for boys. We knew about them from Saturday morning pictures - special films for children at the local cinema - entrance fee 6 (old) pence.



Comments

  1. Many thanks Mike Perry !  These are delightful!  I loved Billy the Kid but don't recall much interest in John Wayne at the time. Aren't you glad you saved these treasures!  I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Fungus the Bogeyman? 
    We still have a copy around the house somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann Kennedy I've got others. I didn't have an interest in John Wayne as such, it was just a book a relative bought me because I liked cowboys. I have a few more annuals but others have gone astray over the years. Fortunately they are now safe in the room I call my office.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thex Dar Yes, it's got a hard cardboard cover but it's not all comic strip. Some are short stories in normal print with a few illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike Martin Afraid not - but I've got a Mickey Mouse!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment