Holiday Inn by Irving Berlin (1942) with Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, Marjorie Reynolds and Virginia Dale.

Holiday Inn by Irving Berlin (1942) with Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, Marjorie Reynolds and Virginia Dale.  The group tries to revive a country inn, owned by their former commanding general, that's only open on the holidays.
Ranked on my all time favorite holiday movies list and an interesting mix of unknown facts.  While the song White Christmas was initially introduced on the radio show, The Kraft Music Hall in 1941, it made it's movie debut in 1942 with Holiday Inn (many are under the impression that it debuted with the movie White Christmas in 1954).  
The movie won the Oscar for Best Original Song (White Christmas -Irving Berlin) in 1943 and was nominated for Best Writing (Original Story - Irving Berlin) and Best Musical Score (Robert Emmet Dolan).

Another interesting fact, was the use of Martha Mears as the singing voice of Marjorie Reynolds.  This would begin a long (and virtually unknown) career for Martha Mears as the singing voice behind many stars to include;  Rita Hayworth, Lucille Ball, Eva Gabor, Claudette Colbert, Hedy Lamarr, Loretta Young and Veronica Lake...among others.

The song, Be Careful It's My Heart - overshadowed White Christmas on radio play and may have been the reason for some of the confusion as to when the song was actually introduced.  Without TV, to bring the Oscars into our livingrooms,  Oscar wins and nominations, were not as well known.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034862/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034862

Comments

  1. I love this one too. It is my standard Christmas time must see each year or I don't feel like I have entered December. 
    Good info too. I didn't know the facts you gave us, Thank You. Pam WhimsicalVintage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Margaret Siemers  they usually run it right after Thanksgiving and to me it's the kick off to the season:)
    I first learned of the Martha Mears thing on a documentary.  I found it so interesting that someone with such an amazing voice, who had done so many movies (via dubbed in) could go virtually unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that info Pam WhimsicalVintage I literally just watched, White Christmas this weekend. It's one of my favs, and had no idea that the song  was in Holiday Inn first. If I've seen that one (and probably have) I don't remember it. And now will watch it. Thanks for all the neat facts ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment