Garage work.


Garage work.

Comments

  1. Note the dress shirt and tie on the gentleman in the pit.  This was how my Grandfather dressed to do his job. He was, what we would refer to today as being, a Picker. He called himself a "Gentleman Junkman."

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting Margaret Siemers. You must tell me more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An excerpt from my Home / About page on Google+

    "In particular, my Grandfather. In the 20's through the 50's he referred to himself as a "Gentleman's Junk Man". Always dressed in a starched, spotless white dress shirt and tie with a duster coverlet to help him stay that way, he drove hundreds of miles each day visiting farms and homes to see if they had anything to discard that day. We would call him a "Picker" today, as he knew what he was looking for and always had his eye sharp to snatch that 'Something Special' that may just be in the back of a barn or shed he was asked to clean out. "

    A wonderful person. I was only about six when he passed, but he made the deepest impression on me of anyone in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And tell me Margaret Siemers what was his most prized possession the one thing he would never part with. We all have one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do mean object, cause my first thought was family. I would have to say his truck. I don't know the year, but it was a Ford half ton, stake body in royal blue. It was his baby. Heck, it was his livelihood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you were to ask me what mine was, It would be a childs wooden armchair that he "Found", took home, cleaned removed paint, sanded and painted pink and white for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is the one thing you would never let go of Darran?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to see a picture of your chair if it's not prying into your life too much.
    My object is a very old ships telegraph. It's well over a hundred years old.
    I found it in terrible condition and it took me over a year to restore.
    Today it sits in my hallway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darran Hughes Sadly it sits in pieces waiting to be repaired and restored once again. It is on my to do list, but my health has thrown a monkey wrench into many of my plans and aspirations. Perhaps this spring when the weather is more agreeable and I get the urge to get out into the shop and tinker around a bit.
    One can only hope, for spring always feels like magic. Perhaps it will work a little on me. 

    Please do show yours however. In fact, I would love to see what others in our "Vintage Village Community" could never part with too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that's a good idea Margaret Siemers . A sort of show and tell.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, You get the gang together and tell them we both want to see. I think I need a lie down soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment